When we are talking about weaponry, it can be assumed that any weapon is going to run the potential for death. While there are plenty of weapons that are designed to be non-lethal out there, the truth of the matter is that the military’s sole purpose is not to make friends or to set up for a tea party. They go in sometimes to use force for something and other times to have weapons for a protection capacity, but regardless, most weapons are going to be dangerous.
Let’s look at the best of the worst: the most deadly weapons that our Army uses today.
- M-1 Abrams: While it could be under debate as to whether it is the deadliest and most-effective tank in the world, without a doubt it is powerful and a fore to be reckoned with. The M-1 Abrams weighs about 60 tons and has a 120 millimeter cannon on some models. There is also depleted uranium armor around it that is about three-feet thick and can drive about 40 miles per hour. If you see this tank coming at you, you need to run the other way. There have been very few of these tanks ever destroyed in combat and even fewer have been captured by enemy forces, though that could also be the training of the operators more that the tank itself.
- M-109A6 Paladin: These often get forgotten due to the newest military technologies that are out there, but the self-propelled howitzers should not be left out of my list. They are incredibly deadly and effective. It is a self-propelled fun that can shoot a 155-millimeter shell up to 20 miles away.
- AH-64 Apache: The Apache is an essential part of the ground force of the military, though it is in the air. The Apache takes speed and firepower and mixes it with range abilities, letting the Army hit enemies way before they come within firing distance. They are also used to hunt insurgents and knock out any enemies that have armored columns. They have been steadily used since Desert Storm.
- M-2 .50-Caliber Machine Gun: This fun was developed way back in the 1930s, when Hitler had only recently rose to power and Roosevelt was in his first term. It has been used all over the world as an anti-aircraft weapon that is pretty much just a small cannon. It has been upgraded in recent years, giving it a quick-change barrel and a night flash suppressor. Even though it may be one of the oldest weapons still in use, it still packs a punch and is not something to mess with. The reason they still use it is because it is truly remarkable, powerful, and reliable to get the job done.
- TOW Anti-Tank Missile: Anytime you see the term “anti-tank,” you should be concerned that the weapon is going to be incredibly deadly and powerful. It is a tube-launched, optically tracked and wire-guided anti-tank missile that has been working for many decades. It started its hard work during the Vietnam War where it blew up many Russian tanks. And now they are using it to blow up tanks in Syria as the world works to take down the terrorist group ISIS. There are many different models of it, allowing the military to choose which version works best for their specific needs. There is even a version called the Aero model that explodes right above a tank, where the armor is the thinnest because a tank is used to pushing forward and being attacked on the sides. Very effective and incredibly dangerous.