I know the military has a reputation for killing people on both sides of the line, but there have been a number of advancements in recent years, allowing them to have weapons that are not lethal, therefore preserving the most lives. That said, even though the weapons let you live, they may still make you wish you were dead. The results of the weapons are not always ideal and can sometimes still be horrific or devastating, even if you get to walk away from the situation.
Let’s take a look at some of these non-lethal yet horrible weapons.
- Active Denial System: Also known as ADS, the Active Denial System is essentially a massive heat ray that is intended to cause pain. The ADS fires electromagnetic radiation directly at its target. The radiation will cause an instant burning sensation that is incredibly painful. It will pass through people’s clothing without issue. The weapons is not lethal because the sensation is not like you are actually on fire, but makes your nerves thing you are. The Army also says that the radiation is not deadly or dangerous because the targets immediately run away when they feel the pain, preventing them from being exposed to extensive radiation.
- PHASR: I discuss this guy in another post as well, but the PHASR is a blinking strobe known as the “dazzler” that is mounted to most infantry rifles. It allows the user to try to disarm any opponents by causing temporary blindness. The United States is the only country that uses anything like this because there was a ban put in place called the 1995 Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons. The United Nations had said that blinding weapons where inhumane and should not be used. The United States says this weapon is exempt because it is not permanent blindness, but temporary blindness that is still enough to make people disoriented and find their eyes to be in horrible pain.
- The Laser Induced Plasma Channel: This one is a kind of force field that is seriously pulled out of a science fiction novel. It can be put up in corridors and will screen whether someone is authorized to be there or not. For those who are not authorized to be there, they will be burned and shocked by the invisible electric fence. It is like being hit with a Taser on an incredibly high level. So you would be burned, thrash around, but unless you had a heart condition, should not actually kill you. But awful enough that you may wish that it had.
- Taser XREP: So along with the electrified fence, think about how effective Tasers are. They work well, right? But the issue is you have to be standing near a person to operate one. That is where the Taser XREP comes in handy. The Taser XREP are electrified shotgun shells. They work by being fired with an intensity from a distance and then they will zap you once you have been hit. The round will stick to your body to ensure that you are getting adequately shocked. The shock lasts about 20 seconds which is long enough for you to pee yourself and wish that you had not done whatever got you tased that day.
- The Pulsed Energy Projectile: Also known as the PEP, the Pulsed Energy Projectile is a mount that fires a laser pulse at the target. The weapon could be used in a lethal capacity, but how it is used at the moment is just to hit someone with a ball of plasma, but not have it be strong enough to actually kill someone. Even if they are not lethal, they do deliver an intense amount of nerve pain that is unlike anything you have ever felt before.